Recipe of the Month – Low Fat Basil Pesto
by Suzi Fields
2 Cups Packed Fresh Washed Basil Leaves
2 Cloves Pressed Garlic
1/4 Cup Olive Oil (you can add up to 1/4 cup more if you like)
1/4 Cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 Cup Raw Pine Nuts
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Put basil in a food processor and pulse until well chopped.
- Mash pine nuts with a mortar and pestle and add to basil.
- Add olive oil and cheese and blend until mixture becomes a smooth paste.
- Scrape down from sides while making to make a uniform consistency.
- Store in an air tight container for up to one week in refrigerator.
- May be frozen for up to 6 months.
Serve on pasta, bread, tomatoes, chicken and the possibilities are endless. A great addition is sun dried tomatoes.